Friday, May 17, 2013

Our Kentucky Trip

We took a much needed Vacation last week to visit Mike's family in Kentucky.
Mike has an aunt & uncle in Versailles Kentucky so why not take a road trip, right? 
Mike's dad came out a week before and visited then we all + grandpa went to Kentucky.
It was a VERY L-O-N-G drive.  16+ hour drive.  What were we thinking?  We fixed that for the drive home and broke it up into 2 days which was MUCH better.  I like road trips but not that long of ones.  (smile) but I do want Michael to have fun memories of vacations every year.  I wasn't able to experience that as a kid, so that is something I am really big on about giving Michael memories of.  I think we succeeded because boy did he have FUN. 
 


Mike had told me about this castle before, so we went to see it.  It's pretty impressive and for sale for 30-million dollars in pocket change.  Where do I sign, right?
Mike's family lives by this orchard.  We had been driving by the signs for a few days and I wanted to check it out.  It was pretty quaint and small town.  I LOVED IT!!!  We bought some fresh raw honey and some raspberry honey butter.    We also took a look at some of their animals. 
Kentucky was absolutely B-E-A-U-T-I-F-U-L!!!   A lot of green, horse fields an feeling like you took a WRONG TURN like in the movie.  I had to get me, Michael and grandpa back from Lexington and our garmin took us back roads and I seriously felt like we were in that movie.  But we made it back and really it was a beautiful drive. 
To put it in easy words, Michael LOVED his cousin Rachel.  It was really fun to watch the two of them.  Poor Rachel, but she was a true sport and Michael has NOT stopped talking about her.
On the way back home, we stopped in Bowling Green Kentucky to tour the National Corvette Museum.  I didn't even know such a place existed, boy am I dumb.  lol  The boys LOVE it.
We stayed the night in Memphis and decided to check out Graceland.  Drove across town and paid $10 for parking.  Ran into the main area where you buy tickets - it was pouring.  Shocker it had rained every day our trip.  They wanted $36 per adult and $15 kids for a tour.  Mike and I looked at each other and said some choice words and got some souvenirs and back to the car.  I had half a mind to demand my money back for the parking.  I think this was extremely overpriced.  I like Elvis, but seriously??? They were somewhat busy too.  Yeah, no!  No need to make Lisa Marie any richer. 
We got back home Friday night and relaxed until the real world came back on Monday. 
It was fun, and I look forward to next years fun Hughes Family vacation.  Maybe we will be able to do something tropical.  Galveston anyone??  ha, ha, ha
Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment